8 Best Quotes on Writing from FiW’12
By Natalie Bright
Based on the sessions I attended during Frontiers in Writing 2012 in Amarillo this past June, here are a few of my favorite quotes:
- “The work of writing: a writer writes. Save the make believe for your books, not your excuses.” Jodi Thomas, NYT and USA Today Bestselling Author http://www.jodithomas.com
- “Keep it real, keep it authentic, keep it accurate, keep it human.” Jeff C. Campbell, former law enforcement and detective, now author and historian.
- “Every book has to have a heart which the reader will find beating in the central drama.” Hilary Sares
- “Writing comes from blue BIC pens. That’s what I wrote with beginning in 7th grade, and that’s what I still use.” Nandy Ekle, multi-award winning horror author, blogging at http://www.wordsmithsix.wordpress.com
- “Only tell the reader what they need to know at that point in your story. They don’t need a lot of back-story in the first chapter. Instead, sprinkle it throughout your book.” Candace Havens http://www.candacehavens.com
- “My stories come from who I am and where I come from, not from a course that is taught.” John Erickson, prolific author of Hank the Cowdog series.
- “The barriers to getting published are way lower today.” Chris Stewart, Attorney
- “Texas writers get to the heart of the matter. You have clarity of situations that are very rare.” Hilary Sares, former Kensington acquiring editor, now writer and freelance editor.